Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Series of Unfortunate Events

It's been a while.

Funny story. About two weeks ago (maybe even three by now...) I was headed to the internet cafe so that I could write another blog and mention how good I was at blogging lately. But then when I got there I found out that all of my pictures from the entire trip had been deleted off of my little flash drive. (I have no idea how that happened. I just plugged it in once and they were GONE!) So then I was a little preoccupied trying to figure it out so I didn't blog. The pictures are still deleted but it's ok because I have most of them on Picasa. But I did lose a lot of my pictures from Arequipa and the first half of Bolivia. it's a shame. shame shame shame. Gotta figure out some better way to save my pictures so this doesn't happen again.

That was in Sucre. Between Santa Cruz and Sucre I went to a place called Samaipata, which was absolutely beautiful. It's a beautiful little hippie town and I saw tons of animals and stayed at a cute place where I had a feather pillow. Feather pillow! I think it had to have been a mistake, but I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want it to be taken away. No pictures :( they are gone

Then I took a plane to Sucre because I'd heard from a lot of people that the bus ride was at least 17 hours and absolutely terrible. Plus, a plane ticket was only $50 so I splurged! Definitely a good choice.

Sucre was a beautiful city, the former capital of Bolivia. It was stolen away by La Paz years ago and they are still pretty bitter. The supreme court is still in Sucre, but everything else is in La Paz. Outside of Sucre there are dinosaur footprints so I visited those. They are on a vertical wall thing because of the techtonic plates moved. They aren't sure how much longer they will last because it is eroding.

can you see the footprints?


I was there for a day extra since I missed my bus to Uyuni. Caught the bus the next day. Good thing I flew to Sucre because it was a long long bus ride where I was sure that the bus was going to break down any minute. Luckily it didn't break down and I made it to Uyuni by sundown. I was supposed to meet up with friends there to do a tour of the Salt Flats together but hadn't heard from them and couldn't find them in the tiny tiny town of Uyuni so I booked a tour on my own. The tour was incredible. It felt like I was on a different planet. Everyone who had done the tour before told us how horribly freezing it was (-20 degrees celcius at night, which is around -5 farenheit) and you stay in little huts with thatched rooves. I was prepared for the worst, but the nights weren't that bad. The bad part was at 6am when we got a flat tire. I thought my toes were going to freeze off. Luckily, they didn't.

salt flats

At the train cemetery

''Arbol de Piedra'' - Stone Tree

After Uyuni I took an 11-hour night bus back to La Paz. I only had one day there so I walked around doing all the touristy stuff I didn't do last time I was there. Again, I really enjoyed La Paz. It's truly a city unlike any other I've ever seen.

A bus in La Paz

Had a flight the next morning (Tuesday) to Bogota, Colombia that I was SURE was at 11. Unfortunately, when I arrived at the airport at 9, I was informed that the flight was actually at 9. oops. (I am calm about it now, but you can be sure I was the opposite when it happened. not a fun day) So after a series of frustrated phone calls in both Spanish and English, I finally got myself on another flight on Friday to Bogota with ''only'' an $83 fee. With my newly acquired 3 extra days in La Paz, I mostly just lounged around on my friend's couch and watched Grey's Anatomy and Lost.

I made it to Bogota, and now I'm loving the city, hanging out with Linnea and Trish, and planning my upcoming trip to the coast. hooray!

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO sorry you lost all of your pictures :( Thank goodness for Picassa I guess huh? You are so brave and I admire your independence. MISS YOU!

    P.S.
    That Stone Tree is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah the joys and frustrations of traveling. Way to stay optimistic though friend! and guess what... YOU COME HOME IN TWO MONTHS!!!!!!! Waahoo!! Can't wait :)
    Praying for you, that the last two months go smoothly :) Love!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, we are so jealous and are really looking forward to see all the rest of the pictures and having you tell us about them when you get home. When is Alexa coming to visit? We're praying for you and are SO proud of you! Stay smart and safe!
    Love you!!! Mom (and Dad, of course)

    ReplyDelete